Thursday, July 17, 2014

Busan: Yonggungsa

Been awhile since I posted, huh? Got a little distracted with life, but I'm still around, and I'm eager to finish sharing the pictures from my Busan trip. After all, I'm going to be taking a ton of photos when I go traveling in a few weeks, so it's probably a good idea to upload the rest of my pics now before my backlog gets out of control.

On the outskirts of Busan, situated serenely on a coastal cliff, is the seaside temple Yonggungsa. Typically Buddhist temples are built on or around mountains, so Yonggungsa's location is a big key to it's fame. See for yourself; my photos do Yonggungsa more justice than my words ever could!

Most of the photos are pretty self-explanatory, but in very last picture is a Buddha statue with a black belly. When you get to the end, I'll explain why that is. Meet you at the bottom!

































See it? His belly, it's so black! People believe that if a woman rubs this particular Buddha's belly, she will be blessed with a son. Since I have no chance of becoming pregnant, I figured it was safe to give his belly a rub myself, for good luck if anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment