Friday, July 18, 2014

Busan: Haeundae Beach

So when I wrote about Gwangan Beach in my last post, I mentioned that despite it's claim to the Gwangan Bridge, it's not the most famous beach in Busan. That honor belongs to Haeundae, a relatively decent strip of surf and turf that would be amazing if it wasn't so crowded. The beach itself is very pleasant: clear waters, fine sand, and the canopy of tall buildings surrounding Haeundae makes for a unique backdrop to splashing in the ocean. But the density of people congregating along the shore is suffocating, giving you nowhere to go for a moment of solitary relaxation except under the waves. Which, actually, was fine by me, because it was hot out and I needed a swim.
In fairness, a big portion of the crowd that weekend could probably be attributed to the ongoing sand sculpture festival, which provided a great alternative to paddling in the water after I had gotten enough salt in my eyes. When I felt done with the beach in general, I wandered over to a nearby modest-sized fish market, giving me another chance to decline trying some of the most distressing looking seafood I've ever seen.

All in all, the whole Busan experience was a good one. I checked out the landmarks, I meandered aimlessly, I mingled with the locals, and by the end of my trip I felt like I had gotten a really good taste of what the city has to offer. If I get a chance, I'd like to go back someday. And honestly, working there would be a good change of pace if I ever decide I want to move away from Seoul but still want to stay in Korea.

























No comments:

Post a Comment