Monday, March 23, 2015

A Day in Seoul

The great thing about Seoul is I never get tired of visiting it. Maybe that's because growing up, I was far removed from cities (or major urban centers of any kind, for that matter) and now that I have near unlimited access to one of the largest metropolises in the world I find myself easily excited by what I'm sure most city folk take for granted. For example, Seoul is incredibly convenient. Not only is it a piece of cake to navigate thanks to its excellent mass transit system, the city will grant you just about anything you may desire with only a modicum of effort on your end. This past weekend I wanted a hamburger: a big, juicy, messy hamburger. A friend recommended me a place where I could get such a meal, and with my girlfriend on board we went on a burger quest.

The restaurant he directed us towards (Brooklyn Burger Joint) is actually part of a larger food court (Gourmet 494) underneath one of Seoul's numerous luxury-brand department stores (specifically the Galleria in Apgujeong). While the Galleria offered nothing of interest to me, the burger itself was fantastic. I ordered the cheese skirt hamburger: I would have preferred if it had been a tad messier, but the skirt of crispy grilled cheese that gives the burger it's name was immensely satisfying. The Joint does not sell beer, but fortunately the Gourmet 494 grocery store surrounding the food court does. If you have a burger craving of your own that demands attention, Brooklyn Burger Joint can be reached via the yellow line: just pop off the metro at Apgujeong Rodeo Station, walk to the underground exit 7, and you'll be able to figure out the rest from there.

Back to reasons I love Seoul: the variety of scenery! One moment you can be underground, below a massive department store enjoying a burger, and the next you'll be taking a pleasant afternoon stroll along the mighty Han River that cuts through the city. Getting to the Han from the Galleria meant a quick ten minute stroll north; once we reached the river my girl and I could walk alongside it by following a well-maintained pedestrian trail. Though it was wonderfully warm this past weekend, benevolent China saw we were cursed with pleasant weather and graciously sent over a lovely cloud of yellow dust. Seoul denizens brave enough to leave their homes and attempt to enjoy an otherwise glorious weekend did so with surgical masks over their faces to protect themselves from any hazardous toxic chemicals in the air. Myself, I figure what doesn't kill me makes me stronger (plus I don't buy into the hype) so I didn't bother dressing up like a doctor, even if my girlfriend did.

A third reason Seoul is so much fun: I never know what I'm going to stumble across next! After heading south and leaving the Han behind, my girlfriend and I ventured into the artsy and cosmopolitan neighborhood of Garosugil, an area full of fine (expensive) dining, hip (expensive) cafes and name-brand (...) shops. We wandered around for a bit, enjoying the sights and glancing at menus to see how much rich people spend on a plate of pasta, before turning a corner and finding a small gallery exhibiting artwork based on blockbuster movies using Legos to reconstruct famous scenes and posters. This kind of discovery is the sort of unscripted event that makes exploring Seoul a delight! How could I have known such a marvelous exhibition was right where it was? The art itself was beyond impressive: I was fascinated by the level of imagination, patience, and sheer dedication each piece displayed.

I could go on listing reasons why I maintain high regard for Seoul, but I think I've made my point. Let me just end by saying I venture into Seoul at least once a week, and even though I've been doing so for the past three years, I still find and experience something new and remarkable every time I do.

One more reason why Seoul is the best. No, three more reasons: the Yongsan Gundam Base, the Coex Gundam Base, and the Gangnam Gundam Base. Especially the Gangnam Gundam Base, for being so easy to reach!


































































No comments:

Post a Comment