Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Kidult Expo, Part 1: Paper Craft Boum

This past weekend saw Seoul play host to the 2015 Kidult & Hobby Expo, which took place in the newly renovated Coex mall's Hall D. Although I didn't do much research into the event before attending, the convention's name, a charming play on words, gave me a general idea of what to expect: hobbies, special interests and past-times that can be enjoyed by adults as well as kids.

I went on Saturday, and I was not disappointed. The show had most major hobbies covered, including model cars and tanks, Lego and Playmobil, independent artists showing off and selling their own works, and of course, Gunpla. Lots of Gunpla. So much in fact that I began to feel sorry for the other hobbies, as it was almost like they were being completely overshadowed.

On that note, where is this love for Gundam and Gunpla hiding here in Korea? Outside of these sorts of shows, I haven't come across too many signs indicating the levels of passion and ability so many Korean modelers apparently have. One of these days I need to figure out where these guys are hanging out, and try to break into their secret club.

Back on topic, there was such an overabundance of marvelous creations to take photos of at the Kidult Expo that I think it would be best to break my report into three parts. First up, I want to share my pics of the 2015 Papercraft Boum, an expo within an expo "showing off Korea's best paper model". Almost everything on display was made from paper or some paper derivative (one artist made all of her works with felt). The level of creativity and originality on display was mind-blowing, and I spent most of my time at the Kidult Expo admiring the works inside Paper Craft Boum.

In some of the photos, you may notice a pile of poker chips at the base of the craft. A single chip was given to attendees upon entering the show, who were then instructed to place the chip next to their favorite. Can you guess which work earned my chip?












































































































No comments:

Post a Comment