Sunday, May 25, 2014

Jirisan Day 3: The Short and Sweet Goodbye

The end of my trip to Gurye and Jirisan was pleasantly uneventful. After meeting with and enjoying dinner and cards with the couple I had befriended on the bus, I retired to my room in one of the many minbaks situated in Jikjeon village. Minbaks are practically Spartan accommodations, providing little more than a shower and a sleeping mat, but for $30 I didn't mind at all. I woke up sore and creaky from my hike, as expected, but also content and well rested. I departed the minbak alone for the bus stop at the edge of town where I would catch the first bus back to Gurye. I had little time to admire Piagol Valley, but I could easily see why my new friend recommended it so highly. What struck me most was the sky: it was bluer than any I'd seen living near Seoul, and I felt a little sad I wouldn't be staying an extra day to enjoy such fine weather. I could easily see myself relaxing in the valley all day, sitting by the river with some rice wine and reading a book.
I took the bus to the terminal, and from there a taxi to the train station. The previous day I had been extremely fortunate in securing a ticket home; as luck would have it somebody had cancelled their reservation just as I was checking the railway's website (the couple weren't as lucky, as they only managed to find standing room on a later train). After arriving at the station and acquiring my paper ticket, I wandered around town for a bit, getting some breakfast and enjoying the final moments before heading home. I felt good. I felt happy. This adventure had been a success. I boarded the train knowing that I'll definitely be returning to Gurye and Jirisan someday.































No comments:

Post a Comment